tank stinger locking

Suggestions you have for the Annihilation mod.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

tank stinger locking

Post by Peter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Id' like to see the tank stinger missile code replaced so that it acts exactly like rocket turrets.
Think of base mod where you are controlling a rocket turret from a command station-the nearest player to your crosshair is immediately locked onto.

In its current state the stinger is only useful for slow moving or stationary targets-forget about hitting anything in the air.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Re: tank stinger locking

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:27 am

I w\as unaware that base rocket turrets locked on at all when remotely controlled.

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Plasmatic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Perrinoia wrote:I w\as unaware that base rocket turrets locked on at all when remotely controlled.
Most casual players don't ;)

I've thought about this in the past and decided against it. I may revisit the decision.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 pm

I'd rather have rockets that track better than rockets that lock on easier... That way I'm rewarded for having good aim rather than insulted for using a weapon designed for noobs.

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Plasmatic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 am

Says the guy that didn't know base rocket turrets locked onto players when fired through a command station... :roll:

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Exactly, why would I bother remote controlling a turret that automatically shoots players just to shoot at players when I could be flying around the map using skills to shoot players with my extremely satisfying disk launcher?

MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

Post by MadCowDisease2 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Perrinoia wrote:Exactly, why would I bother remote controlling a turret that automatically shoots players just to shoot at players when I could be flying around the map using skills to shoot players with my extremely satisfying disk launcher?

Back in the days when people didn't know about Skiing...

*mumbles something about disabling skiing to bring the original Tribes gameplay back*

Treshnell
Forum Ninja

Post by Treshnell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Perrinoia wrote:Exactly, why would I bother remote controlling a turret that automatically shoots players just to shoot at players when I could be flying around the map using skills to shoot players with my extremely satisfying disk launcher?

I used to have fun fortifying the center objective on Scarabrae and defending it with the rocket turrets.

Peter
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Post by Peter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Plasmatic wrote:
Perrinoia wrote:I w\as unaware that base rocket turrets locked on at all when remotely controlled.
Most casual players don't ;)

I've thought about this in the past and decided against it. I may revisit the decision.

The tank has virtually no defense against units outside of an enclosed area (especially flying units). It also has no defense against snipers. Even rogue angels can own tanks. This would at least give them some chance outside the bases.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 am

I find the blast cannon to be the most effective Tank weapon against angels. When you pull the trigger, the sky is filled with plasma balls, and if the angel is anywhere close to soul grabber range, they will die. Also, you can lob grenades past them, forcing them to get closer to you.

I really can't remember when the last time an angel killed me when I was a tank, but I do remember that I was talking on the phone at the time, LOL.

Also, there is a new beacon ability for tank in some annihilation servers, which creates a shockwave explosion, shocking the energy systems of players in the area, dropping those pesky angels to the ground. Annihilation BR does not have this feature.

MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

Post by MadCowDisease2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:50 pm

I say Tanks should be boosted a little with an easier-to-use lock system in order to put them on par with Titans.

Something with only four guns, no speed, and no Shield Pack should be able to kill a Titan more easily.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:45 am

Tanks have a very specific purpose, and roaming across the map shooting down angels and avoiding all the snipers camping in the hills is not that purpose.

Tanks are great at defending a base, they can hide in the entrance waiting for the enemy to try to come in and blast them when the team's defenses aren't doing the job. They can also pin down the entrance of the enemy base with a constant barrage of rockets. But once a tank is stuck in between the bases, it's sniper fodder.

MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

Post by MadCowDisease2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Sadly, if a Titan comes charging in with a Pbeam, the chances of that Tank defender surviving are pretty slim.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 am

Maybe if you are the Titan. If I'm in Tank, and a Titan comes charging into my base, the Titan will die.

Quimica
Call me Mr. Picky.

Post by Quimica » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:47 am

:shock: