Base cloaking device

Suggestions you have for the Annihilation mod.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Base cloaking device

Post by Peter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:46 pm

In its current state, the cloaking device interferes with your team as much as the enemy team. Is there a way for it to only effect what the other team sees? Once you place one, your teammates cannot see their own stations, or any thing else for that matter.
Or maybe have it put a green arrow or something over your team's stations and objects when it is active?

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Re: Base cloaking device

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 am

GameBase::startFadeOut(%object) and GameBase::startFadeIn(%object) makes objects visible or invisible to ALL players. There is no way to make an object visible to certain players at the same time as being invisible to others.

It is possible, through the use of a client side patch, to make all of the friendly team indicators for objects appear on your screen even if you are not looking directly at them. The patch might end up being considered a cheat or a hack, though.

Peter
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Post by Peter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Is it possible to do the green arrow thing serverside? Or would it be possible to make it effect players only? Or maybe players and turrets only?

Maybe do something else instead: replace it with portable cloaking devices that are the same size and cover the same area as something less powerful such as sensor jammers. This way you could cloak just your base's roof (an example) and still see everything else. Also limit its emitter so that it doesn't cloak things behind walls, ground, etc. And then increase its deploy limit to something like four?

In its current state when you place one you piss off your teammates at least as much as the enemies.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

I don't think I have ever been annoyed by an enemy base cloaking device.... Only friendly ones bother me, and I don't think increasing the number of them and decreasing the range of them will help.

The biggest problem with them is that my enemies never seem to be using OpenGL... They all know exactly where I am when I am cloaked.

MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

Post by MadCowDisease2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Perrinoia wrote:The biggest problem with them is that my enemies never seem to be using OpenGL... They all know exactly where I am when I am cloaked.

Same.

Suggestion! How about checking if people are using Software mode, then instantly jailing them whenever they shoot a Chameleon, regardless of their cloaked status? :P

Alternately, spend the next 40 hours of free time on setting up a v1.40 Annihilation Server.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:40 am

It is impossible to determine if a client is using OpenGL or Software rendering except by attempting to crash the OpenGL users leaving only Software users in the server.