Rocket propelled bots!

Suggestions you have for the Annihilation mod.

Moderator: Moderators

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Rocket propelled bots!

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Ok, so the name might be a bit deceiving... This has nothing to do with giving bots rocket packs or anything like that...

This idea was conceived from the memory of Plas's Blow Up Doll Launcher in Sex mod... I thought to myself (and bart, as conversation with him brought this idea to the front of my mind), what if, instead of blow up dolls, you spawned AI infront of the shooter and launched it like a pitchfork launches players...

Then I thought, what if there were options, like the minibomber, but instead of selecting how many to launch, you get to select what kind of armor the bot is wearing, and what weapons it will have with respect to the previous armor choice.

Then I had another thought... What if, instead of weapon modes to select the armor, you charged up your bot projectile like the particle beam gets charged... but instead of causing more damage, it grows to heavier and stronger armor with more powerful weapons as you charge it up.

You might think I was done thinking at that point, since this is more thinking than I've done in years already, but you'd be wrong.

I thought, what if instead of weapon modes or charging up to select the loadout, what if instead of being a weapon at all, it was a category of packs you could purchase... Like the old droids category. You select the AI type from the list, deploy it, and launch it with pitchfork...

Bart asked a question that got me thinking some more... He asked if it would explode on impact, or by timer, so I'm thinking that perhaps it should get charged up like the particle beam to determine it's life span before it explodes like a remote det pack...

Each player should only be allowed to deploy one at a time, perhaps a team limit would be appropriate too, and they should accept commands from their creators, such as waypoints and targets. They should definitely be able to shoot at waypoint's set by their creator's targeting laser, just like the training mission bots with mortars do.

BART_SIMPSON416
Homerbane4000

Re: Rocket propelled bots!

Post by BART_SIMPSON416 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Hey you didn't mention my original idea though :(

My idea was deploying a sort of beacon. It remains in position for 10 seconds. In that time frame you can shoot pretty much everything you have at it. It'll absorb all the damage. Then it shoots forward in the direction the original player aimed at. Any not map objects (map objects being terrain and buildings in this case) that collide with it get damaged applied to them. Same for any object that comes close to it. When it hits a map object it should spam a mortar shell that explodes with the remaining strength.

So lets say you fire the beacon and deal 5000 damage to it. After the 10 seconds it goes forward.
It hits a bwall and destroys it and loses 1000 damage. So 4000 left...
It comes close to a player and the player gets shot by either a laser or a shock or whatever, 100 damage to player (player death btw) so 3900 left.
Next it hits an iblock. A mortar shell is spawned that does 3900 damage.

To limit it's range it should lose damage at a steady rate.

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:09 pm

It was not mine to post.

C--
Sorry....

Post by C-- » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 am

Plas, why don't you make a weapon that spawns a bot that goes to the closest inventory station and buys an airbase pack, then goes behind the enemy base and deploys it, then flies up on it and then changes armor to titan and starts shooting OS missiles from the airbase with perfect aiming?

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:30 pm

It's been done... *See [df]Satan.

C--
Sorry....

Post by C-- » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Okay then.
Plas, why don't you make a weapon that shoots a bot that opens the map editor and starts building a CTF map according to his taste, then he saves map, captures the flag 3 times and dies while capping the 4th time, then respawns, says "gg all" and disconnects?

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 am

Not sure I know who your refering to now.

Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Toe » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 pm

I suggested this sort of thing to Nix Marl years ago, and he put it on the old RE server. IIRC on the weapon side it was based on the Clay Pigeon. When it was used, it would spawn a bot in one of like 5 random configurations, ranging from a fairly vanilla Warrior to a crazy-fast Tank. The AI was based on some pre-existing code, but I can't remember what exactly.

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Plasmatic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:45 am

I've always thought a modified clay pigeon gun that fires bots that shoot at the firing player would be interesting..

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 pm

No, they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them, what would be the insentive to fire the gun unless you were all alone in the server looking for an easy kill?

It should definitely be allied with the person who created it, so people will use it to create expendable teammates, and launch them into suicide missions.

Holy shit, I just had another stroke of genious (or just a stroke, you decide).

We should totally bring this back to the game that the mod was named for... Make a strategy game version of Annihilation... Remember a few years back when someone posted a video of a strategy mod they made for tribes, where they were commanding fleets of bots with the tab menu from observer mode? It should be like that, except you actually get to play, as the Commander.

You spawn, and have to build up your team, and command them to go fight the other teams... it would be up to 8 teams, just like Total Annihilation... Plus, people could observe, perhaps. Maybe, as the commander, you might get to recruit observers to control the units your factories produce...