Points for Jailing and building

Suggestions you have for the Annihilation mod.

Moderator: Moderators

Da-V-Man
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Points for Jailing and building

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:18 am

I think that there are many people who build a lot, but don't get any credit for it because they aren't killing. I don't know how it would work, but maybe 1 point for fixing a generator, and an inv station with a working generator, 1 for deploying an air base, etc.

Also, I don't think you get points for jailing people. If you do, well then that's good.

Freelancer
ɹǝɔuɐןǝǝɹɟ

Re: Points for Jailing and building

Post by Freelancer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 am

That could be easily abused. People could keep deploying inventory stations and killing them to get points.

I think people that stay back to defend the base make up for the points they lose in killing people by the kills from their defense (turrets). If someone is efficient at setting up defense, then they tend to get alot of points.

I've had the top score at the end of matches where I never even left my base.

Treshnell
Forum Ninja

Post by Treshnell » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Restoring power to your base I could potentially see as providing points. But definitely not just deploying defenses. As was mentioned, people deploying defenses often make up their points in turret kills. Distributing points for general repairs would just be too easily abused, without some modification. You'd have to check who is damaging the item and if it's yourself or a teammate, skip points on repairs of that item.

I don't really play for points....I play for kills and wins...

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Plasmatic » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Annihilation already has repair points, and code to prevent related point farming. Deploying turrets and other defense is more subjective, if you do it well the turrets will get you points. I'd rather not encourage wall placement just for the sake of points, we'd end up with more walls inside bases etc. In a perfect world the game would evaluate placement and award points accordingly, but we're not going to do that...

I would like to add 'Jailing spree' code in the future.

Treshnell
Forum Ninja

Post by Treshnell » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Points for jailing would be nice...
I always had trouble deciding whether to turret trap the jail and get kills or just place it way out of the way so the enemy would lose points or take forever to run back to the fight...

Freelancer
ɹǝɔuɐןǝǝɹɟ

Post by Freelancer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:28 pm

:lol:

"Double Jail!"
"Triple Jail!"
"Jailing Spree!"
"Jailtacular!"
"Jailtrocity!"
"Jailamanjaro!"

Da-V-Man
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Treshnell wrote:Points for jailing would be nice...
I always had trouble deciding whether to turret trap the jail and get kills or just place it way out of the way so the enemy would lose points or take forever to run back to the fight...

I prefer the latter... Although my opponents don't.

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Plasmatic » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 am

I prefer setting the jail off somewhere out of the main action, but not too far away, players will suicide once released if it's too far. Then I set turrets just over a hill so they get wanged when they head back. :twisted:

Spree's are something that's been on the back burner for a while now. I have some overhauling to do now though.. :stab:

Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

Post by Perrinoia » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Jailing Spree? Plasmatic, has anyone told you your a genius today? If not, consider it done. :twisted:

Armageddon
Arma-Goddarn a roo-Motherlovein-Geddon

Post by Armageddon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm

in a URVX mod i made we gave points for deploying turrets and D items, nothing major i think it was only .25 points, 4 items set = 1 point, that kept people from deploying and killing it and then doing it over cause it was a hassle just for 1 point when a kill was easier to get for the whole 1 point. I did it just to reward D players for their effort.