Paintball AI / Spoonbot?

This is the development community to discuss tribes mod coding or to ask questions.

Moderator: Moderators

1 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello lads,

Sorry to ask this question in a forum dedicated to Annihilation, but it seems you guys are the only ones still interested in keeping Tribes alive. I wanted to ask if anyone has any idea whether there is a somewhat decent AI for PB out there or how hard it would be to adjust Spoonbot for that mod. I saw that Quimica was developing one but it seems like he never released the code and I don't know if anyone is still working on such a thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Tom
tompb
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

2 Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:06 pm

yes ai can be made for paintball, but with all of the obstacles that are mapped in the bots would either need to be mapped into the mod with a preset path for them to walk (so you can make AI maps), or they would have to be coded in detail enough to be able to avoid shapes when they walk.

easiest way would be to emulate what is done on the training maps, and maps such as 996_bootcamp. you just map the bot into a team, give it weapons, and give it a path to run
bawb
Commander
Commander

3 Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm

http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm

This is the resource I used to write my first pathfinding algorithm. Give it a read and you should be able to adapt it pretty well to work with Tribes AIs. The hardest part then would just be placing movement nodes all over the map for them. Though I suppose you could also write a script to do that for you as well.
Braveskin
How about a real title?

Return to Coder's Hangout