Dedicated servers. Installing mods, configuring router.

Rules, information, how to.

Moderator: Moderators

1 Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:33 am

This is a simple 'how to' for begining server operators.

Install tribes into another directory from a Tribes install disk or unzipping a clean Tribes from www.tribes0.com. Any scripts, huds, texture packs or skins will seriously screw up s server. None of the folders should have any spaces in the name. Spaces will complicate things later.

Install a mod if you like. A properly installed mod will have its own folder in the root Tribes directory next to Tribes.exe like so:
In this example, the mod is called Annihilation.

Right click 'InfiniteSpawn.exe' and create a shortcut.

Right click the new shortcut and select properties:

The target line should include 'InfinateSpawn.exe' at the end.
Add a space and '*tribes.exe -mod annihilation -dedicated' to this line.

Double click the new shortcut to test it. A small grey InfinateSpawn window
and a larger Tribes.exe window with white text will pop up.

Windows XP sp2 users may see this message:
Click unblock.

Close InfiniteSpawn with the 'quit' button and edit the mod settings in the config directory. Restart and you're done.

Setting up a router.
If you have a firewall you may need to open ports 28000 and 28001. If you have a router you may also need to forward ports. A direct connection to the internet is easiest, but if you are running a router, this is how Blue Sex is set up.

We're assuming you have multiple computers connected to the router. You need to set up the server box to use a static IP within your home network, and forward ports 28000 to 28010 or so to that box. You should forward UDP protocol, but it won't hurt to also forward TCP also (both).

This is my setup with a Linksys router.

Write down your DNS server. Find it with with start > run > cmd, then type in
Code: Select all
ipconfig /all

You should see something like this. This is only necessary if you use the server for web browsing...
ipconfigall.jpg

Setup DHCP, you'll need to set a range so your server can have a static IP outside this range to eliminate conflicts. My server uses 192.168.1.10 and DHCP starts at 192.168.1.100. The actual router also needs a reserved IP, in this case it is 191.168.1.1
dhcp.jpg

Set up port forwarding. Again, my setup with a Linksys router
portforward.jpg

Set your server to request a static IP.
Working clockwise from top, open status window by double clicking connection icon in the tray or start > control panel > network connections.
Hit the properties button to open properties panel, scroll to tcp/ ip at bottom, hit the properties button.
Set your computer to request an IP like so.
manualconfig.jpg

That's it. If you have another computer on the network, you may have to 'repair' the connection, but then you should be able to see your server listed. It may be listed twice on other computers in your home network, but this is normal.

Information about non dedicated (listen) servers can be found here: http://www.annihilation.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4095
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:33 pm

ok, i am trying to run an Annihilation V3.0b server. At one point, it was working fine, but every since the power went out, it doesn't work. I am running it off of a router, which i have opened ports 28000 and 28001. I myself can get on, but nobody else sees it, what am i not doing right.
WhiteFang
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

3 Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:46 pm

The official master servers are down, are you registering the server with a working master? The server should also have a static address so the router knows where to send incoming requests.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

4 Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 am

the static address, i don't understand, im not quite that good with computer tech. however, I downloaded the game from troc.us and as far as I know, their downloads have the current updates. I believe kigens server is the one it runs off. What i dont understand, is that its like its firewalled, i can see it and play it, but nobody else. But i opened the ports ........this all worked fine before I lost freaking power.......iyiyiyiy.
WhiteFang
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

5 Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 pm

I've updated the original post to include router information. Hope it helps!
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

6 Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:05 pm

well, i found my problem, it wasn't what you said, but in fact, instead of opening the ports i needed too, i closed them. They were already open when i started. Somehow I messed it up, but its all fixed now. Thanx for your help though, it did help me find my error.
WhiteFang
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

7 Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:54 pm

No problem. Nice meeting you.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

8 Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi i am haveing problems joining any game at all.I am also in the progress of trying to host the rpg version on tribes.I know alot of people who would love to play but there haveing the same problem connecting to any master server.Please help
slacker1981
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

9 Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:41 pm

The original Tribes master servers have been down for a long time.
Pick up one of the Tribes versions here : http://tribes0.com/download.php

If you are hosting, there are a number of servers run by the community. I run one at t1m1.tribes0.com
Add this to your config somewhere to add them all:
Code: Select all
$Server::CurrentMaster = "0";$Server::MasterAddressN0 = "t1m1.tribes0.com:28000 t1m1.masters.tribesmasterserver.com:28000 t1m1.pu.net:28000 skbmaster.ath.cx:28000 kigen.ath.cx:28000 t1m1.masters.dynamix.com:28000";
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

10 Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 am

Hey Plas,

Make sure mine is listed as t1m1.tribes1.co, the kigen.ath.cx name has been dead a long time due to DynDNS ending usage of that domain. Skbmaster is also dead.

t1m1.tribes1.co
t1m1.pu.net:28000
t1m1.tribes0.com:28000
tribes.lock-load.org:28000
t1m1.tribesmasterserver.com:28000
Kigen
The Legendary Lone Marine.

Return to Information Desk