Lou Castle weighs in on Tribes.

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:57 am

Louis Castle wrote:Tribes, Absolutely bringing it back... Tribes has definitely gotta come back, it's a great game.

Some interesting comments about how a new Tribes game would be 'purchased' discussed here.
Transcript here.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 am

They will destroy it.

All they should do is re-release the current v1.11 Tribes and widely announce it everywhere (not just US like before).
I will buy. for sure.
C--
Sorry....

3 Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:18 am

in opengl and latest version of torque with dx11 class hardware rendering abilities, and make it look just like the art on the t1 box

please
Blakhart
The ultimate Iowigger!

4 Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 am

First of all, they need to re-record that interview, with a better microphone, in a room that isn't so love noisy, and re-cast the interviewers with the G4 chick, and replace Lou Castle with someone who plays Tribes.

Then they need to add a DX9-11 video option to 1.40 and make the OpenGL version linux compatible (without wine). Then they need to sell it online and advertise on G4.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

5 Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:45 pm

well. I couldnt understand like 60% of the conversation. But I did noticed the "its not gonna be free forever". eheh

Oh well. All I ask is for good graphics. But according to the instantaction's comment: "Part of our re-release of Tribes is a minor overhaul so that users will be able to very easily modify and change textures, etc.", that wont happen?

Louis Castle, Louis Castle... Im gonna kick you in the nuts
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

6 Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Yeah, actually it will be free forever. Tribes is already free you stupid love retard Lou The Colon Crumb Loving faggot.
NoFiXette
Captain
Captain

7 Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:02 pm

NoFiXette wrote:stupid loveing retard Lou The Colon Crumb Loving friendgot.

nice
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

8 Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:46 am

If they released another version of Tribes, with product key validation and anti-cheat support... I'd buy it.

In fact, that's what they should do... Sell product keys, and patches. The game itself would be a free download, and you could play on legacy cheater filled servers for free, but a product key and up-to-date patches would be required for the new cheat free servers.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

9 Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:19 pm

How about an updated server that allows product key validation through an IA operated server, buy can also allow legacy players. Toggle-able by server operator much like bugs plugin.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

10 Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 am

Well they wont get any €$ by having the option of being a free game player. So, buy buying it, something should be given as feature to those paying players. The question is, what would that be? I can only think about better graphics...

Lol. I usually say I wont give a coin for a game, but love, I cant say No to tribes :( funny
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

11 Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Plasmatic wrote:How about an updated server that allows product key validation through an IA operated server, buy can also allow legacy players. Toggle-able by server operator much like bugs plugin.

Well, that would eliminate some of the motivation to buy the new version. I dunno about you, but I'm willing to put up with being forced to make the decision of buying the updated version or continuing to use the buggy legacy version if it means that AI will profit off of the IP and therefor continue to support it. I mean, that is the end goal in my opinion, continued support and development.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

12 Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm

If I was Louis Castle I would get efforts to work with tribes but for respect and love for the game and its history and not for profit$. The game doesnt give profit$ for ages.... And its still populated by many people. And all we got to this point its by The Community for The Community. So those capitalists can S-U-C-K my A-Rsserol
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

13 Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 am

They can't make a free game cost money, they already have a few hundred players running around for free already.

Particularly difficult when 1.0->1.40 are all a simple case of copy/pasting a directory to a CD or flash drive.
MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

14 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 am

But they could release a new version of the game and charge for that.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

15 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 am

then it must be really good or else, it doesnt make sense.....
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

16 Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:06 pm

To charge for something that has been free for many years, and something that many people paid for ( $49.99 here ) is just silly. Just a guess, but Lou Castle doesn't know shit about the active community, and more than likely doesn't even know that a very playable 1.40 was leaked.
NoFiXette
Captain
Captain

17 Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:09 pm

NoFiXette wrote:To charge for something that has been free for many years, and something that many people paid for ( $49.99 here ) is just silly. Just a guess, but Lou Castle doesn't know doggy doo about the active community, and more than likely doesn't even know that a very playable 1.40 was leaked.

He mentions 'I know you can already play', or something similar. Whether he's referring to the 1.40 leak is anyone's guess, however.
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

18 Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm

I doubt it's possible for a company of that small size to sue 100+ players for playing a free game, so I don't think much will happen.
MadCowDisease2
Commander
Commander

19 Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm

They're not an independent company anymore. They're owned by Barry Diller and IAC now with more than enough money to handle the legal affairs for anything they want to jump into.

If anything, he was talking about Tribes with IA's feature set of playing in a browser almost instantly and social features to rival other digital services. From his interviews it's obvious he's nowhere near as removed from the industry or his sector as someone like Bobby Kotick would be. It even seems like he goes to the gaming nerds under his employ when he wants to know what's up. Surely he would know not to mess with the version of Tribes we've all been kicking around for the last six years.
Aldaron
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

20 Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Aldaron wrote:They're not an independent company anymore. They're owned by Barry Diller and IAC now with more than enough money to handle the legal affairs for anything they want to jump into.

If anything, he was talking about Tribes with IA's feature set of playing in a browser almost instantly and social features to rival other digital services. From his interviews it's obvious he's nowhere near as removed from the industry or his sector as someone like Bobby Kotick would be. It even seems like he goes to the gaming nerds under his employ when he wants to know what's up. Surely he would know not to mess with the version of Tribes we've all been kicking around for the last six years.

Well yeah. But he says it's already possible to play the game(duh), and I was curious to know if he was referring to the leak or 1.8+. As for the man himself, who knows. I won't bash him because he bought me a laptop so whatev. :lol:
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to News