A new beta release?!?!

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:36 am

Just a quick note about a new Annihilation beta release. Complete with a new pack for Tank, a new tool for Angel, and many many more enhancements and fixes. http://www.tribes0.com/ann_041308.zip
This is the same version I have running at my development server Blue Sex, stop by and try it out. I swear I'll have a stable release sometime this summer...

Click the liar for more information. Image

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:03 am

The Tank pack is all new for the Tank armor, and features a barrage of five rockets that are controllable by the firing player. If you turn left or look up, they will go that direction after being fired.

Tank also gets a working defense beacon, a EMP blast that is fired upwards from a compartment in the Tank armor. Useful against pesky Angels and other upwardly mobile targets.

Angel armor has gained control of inner dimensional travel with the Heavens Gate Gun, or simply Gate Gun. This tool will open a portal capable of transporting players from one location to another. Portals are short lived and may be destroyed easily, but a smart team may be able to move large armors quickly with this.

The Pitchfork has been improved to reduce 'friendly' horseplay. A forked teammate may simply tap their jets to release themselves. Blastwalls and Forcefields may once again be moved.

These are just a few of the changes, but the largest of the pack.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

3 Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Good work Plasmatic. :D
Kigen
The Legendary Lone Marine.

4 Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 am

You gave the Portal gun to the angel?

I'm assuming there's some kind of limitation right? Ammo? Can't be fired at enemy base? Super long refire rate?
Freelancer
ɹǝɔuɐןǝǝɹɟ

5 Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 am

They don't very long, and they can't take any beating at all.

You also can't deploy them near enemy flags.
Braveskin
How about a real title?

6 Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:42 pm

Cool

Dude
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

7 Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 am

On my servers, I modified pitchfork so that it only tells the shooter and the target when someone is boosted, but also admins when shooter and target are teammates...

I changed that because it was annoying the hell out of me when every boost was a global message...

I figured that boosting enemies was fair game, but i wanted to know when teammates were being abused.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

8 Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Haven't tried this with the jetting yet, but as annoying as hell as this is and as often as it happens, why not just make it so you cannot even pitch teammates without their concent. Something similar to accepting a party invite in the tab menu in trpg.
Death666
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

9 Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 am

perrinoia can you send me that fix? my server is called Independent* -4.0
VirusX
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

10 Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 am

Perrinoia wrote:On my servers, I modified pitchfork so that it only tells the shooter and the target when someone is boosted, but also admins when shooter and target are teammates...

I changed that because it was annoying the hell out of me when every boost was a global message...

I figured that boosting enemies was fair game, but i wanted to know when teammates were being abused.

Not a bad idea, I'll add that for next release.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

11 Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:56 am

ok sweet
VirusX
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

12 Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm

yup... I think it would be a good idea to have boosting at a default, but if you wanted have a menu option that would disallow teammates to boost you in case they were really annoyed.

or after X amount of boosts by player X send target a question asking them if they are annoyed or not. If yes.. turn off the boost ability from that player & log the instance.

Edit: Better yet, have a setting that would start a vote after X team boosts to disable that players team boosting ablilty
Risker259
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

13 Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 pm

I'll probably remove forking teamates all together for annoying players. Removing boosting will just make them use the next annoying tactic.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

14 Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:10 pm

You can still fork me, plasmatic. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:
Braveskin
How about a real title?

15 Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 am

Plasmatic if you will I would also like to finish up the balancing changes to deploys and please by the love of god take out heavens gate.

Plas left out a few things so I will cover them.

Tank beacons:
Now have an EMP/Flash effect when used and will effect anything within a 60 meter bubble it also has the added effect of completely disrupting the command of any droids from OS's to Suicide Droids making it a very strong defensive choice for protecting flag and vitals from destruction.
Its very handy outdoors against spawn capping and OS abuses. Indoors against Necroes and Chams since flashing them will severely limit this armors effectiveness.
Couple that with the additional firepower and added shielding the up-gunned Tanks now a very playable armor. Great for preventing base rape from Titans as well.

Speaking of Chams.
Chams now have a great new ability for support play and spotting. When equipped with a Lucy and fired towards an enemy installation say an Air Base if you have your Cham Pack active the Lucy will now give brief targeting information from all nearby deploys to all friendly units allowing the Cham to call in additional Nuclear or Mortar support from team mates.
It may even help new players be a little more useful by giving them something to shoot at.

Piercing weapons and bullets now have incendiary rounds and will cause a bit more damage to deploys especially ff's and blastwalls. Shotguns you will find have extra punch against hard targets at close range. Further giving Spawners a good chance at having some ability to get in the game.

Railgun has been a topic of controversy now for quite some time from 1.3 players. To meet the demands of old schoolers yet still give it some skill requirement we have taken away the power drain requirement however the Railgun now fires a 3 round burst each hit doing 50% of its former damage unless you score a headshot. or hit with all 3 rounds it will be more balanced against players on the move. If your a pesimist you will see only the need to land 3 shots if your an optimist you will see no energy drain and a bust in firepower to 150% the normal Railgun damage and a good spread to hit moving targets as well as a much greater ability to take out unprotected defenses at range. Nuero bashers will now go down with 1 hit compared to the previous multiple hits. Putting Builders back in the game as an offensive power choice and evening the playing field a bit more against Titans and Trolls.

Rocket Pods:
I loved this weapon from a mod I played briefly years ago called Vengeance mod. little did I know this was a Plas creation so immediately I suggested the weapon be brought into Annihilation and so far it was met with enthusiastic approval. The weapon may be purchased by Warriors and Trolls and of course is available to Tanks with the "Tank Pack" However for Trolls and Warrior the ammunition is limited but the effect is the same.
While the individual rockets themselves do little damage they are many in number so if you land consecutive hits your delivering quite a punch. They are also guideble in flight just as the tank pack is allowing for minor course correction while on the move which is what Warriors needs to survive against their deadlier adversaries in Titan and Troll. I hope to see many Spawn and Warrior players becoming friendly with this add in and hopefully a lot more skill and tactics used on the field. Not to mention its very intimidating to the target while being pure eye candy to the firer I hope you all fall in love with this weapon just as I have.
The weapon also gives Troll and Warrior a broadside barrage attack that requires some practice but gives Troll and Warrior a much better chance in the field vs Titans helping to further balance the overbearing dominance of the Titan armor. Players can now more greatly rely on skill then superior firepower alone. Which is what makes this mod so fantastic.

NUKES!
The Baby Nuke Launcher now comes with an alternate fire mode.
It now has a direct fire short ranged rocket propelled projectile ideally suited for taking down haphazardly placed obstacles like bunkers, blastwalls and noobs if you must. Its primary use however is obstacles and anyone that played with the horrid OZ and later E edits will appreciate this new mode of fire.
Other then its range it is a nuke turret deployable keep in mind however it uses up twice the ammo as the standard lobbed nuke also for balancing which is also why the range was limited so you wont see noobs standing in Bside hallways launching them from entrance to entrance and locking you down.
Have fun don't blow yourselves up.

Particle beam"
Turret killer mode now requires an energy pack to use this was to limit the ability to camp by reducing a Titans former ability to heal while maintaining a high rate of fire thus reducing camping by giving the players a high probability of success against would be campers.
If Titans still wish to use a repair pack you will be limited to standard fire mode only so make your shots count.
Also in an attempt to help players and admins deal with the abuses of HM the turret killer mode now has an illumination affect on its targeted location. Skilled players will be able to spot when theres a camper waiting for them to come out of cover by the illumination effect.
It will also give players using TK mode something cool to look at while stoned and help them in leading targets. While admins will be able to observe and clearly identify if a player is tracking through walls or mountain sides by knowing precisely what the player is targeting.
Win win win for all.

Anyone requiring a personal demonstration I will be happy to make myself available for weapons testing and showing off the new concepts. my xfire is aptly "DXSTRYR" hope to hear from you soon and I hope you enjoy my concepts.

Changes still in the works.

1: Removal of Heavens Gate.

2: Phase Disrupter I would like to take this weapon out completely since the rocket pod will now replace it.

3: Deployables will now only be capable of emplacement in friendly flag zones which is the exact opposite of offensive deployables being unable to place in enemy flag area's.
This will completely eliminate offensive D and give more play for spawn players while in concept also make players fight for strategic vantage points putting the game once more back in the hands of teamwork and players, not autonomous weaponry.

4: Removal of Dropships and return of all vehicles.

Sorry theres no Grappling hook you will actually need to be able to control your flight characteristics in order to get places use your energy wisely.
DXSTRYR
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

16 Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:23 pm

seeing a guy hidden with a light is not the same thing as HM? :roll:

Phase Disrupter is a classic weapon. why remove it? Make it have less damage sense you're adding the rocket pod.
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

17 Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:11 am

The markers look something like this...
[youtube]j-nLmORRmEE[/youtube]
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

18 Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Sorry, little lost... what is the marker?? you shooting the guys head part, or looking at the wall part?

and what is the marker for?
Risker259
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

19 Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:48 am

i think the wall part.. prabably the direction he's facing or something?
robindegen
I ril pr0 men

20 Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:53 am

The marker shows where a fully charged pbeam is being aimed. It points back at the player holding the weapon.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Next

Return to News