Clancore stops development of Starsiege 2845

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:21 am

Starsiege 2845 is a vehicle based game set in the Tribes universe.
Trajan wrote:While this is the end of Starsiege 2845, this is not the end for Clancore. The majority of us have decided to continue on and develop our own fictional universe and a corresponding conversion MOD for the upcoming Unreal Tournament 3. In retrospect, this is something we should have done 2 years ago.
http://www.clancorenetwork.com/forums/s ... hp?t=14837

Starsiege 2845 was initially a mod for Tribes Vengeance, but when T:V was deemed unsuitable for the project, it was moved to the Torque engine as a stand alone game. Clancore released the ATR demo last year using the Torque Game Engine and had planned to move to the TGEA engine using the same codebase.

With four years into the project and another engine change looming, CC is packing it in.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:31 am

http://www.ntdf.com/showpost.php?p=109148&postcount=6
Vyper wrote:The project was cancelled because of a collection of events that totally derailed our ability to produce anything of significance. First, Vivendi forced us to drop our initial development on UT2004 to and take up development on Tribes: Vengeance. Even though we were very close to an ATR on the UT2004 engine, this made sense; they wanted to sell more copies of T:V. But Irrational Games totally hosed the Unreal engine to the point it was unmoddable. In addition, Vivendi's agreement with IG gave IG the exclusive rights to the T:V source code, so we couldn't fix what they broke.

When we told Vivendi we couldn't possibly use T:V as a base from which to develop our mod, they informed us that using Unreal or some other game was out of the question, because it would bring profit to another company using Vivendi's Intellectual Property. They agreed to allow us to create SS2845 as a standalone game using TGE/TSE from Garage Games. We agreed to this condition because Vivendi promised us access to the Tribes 2 source code. that source would have put us well on our way. However, six months after switching to TGE to develop the ATR, Vivendi informed us that they could not lay their hands on the source code. They sent authorization to Garage Games for them to provide the source to us... but they continued to drag their feet on the issue and never made good on the commitment.

When TSE(TGEA) was reaching it's final milestone, Clancore agreed that we should take what we had managed to accomplish with the old Darkstar/T2/V12/Torque engine and send it out the door so we could begin migrating to TGEA. After Garage Games released what they were calling the final build of TGEA, it was clear that all of our development time would be spent repairing or completing the pieces of the engine that they had promised, but failed to deliver. The scope of what was ahead of us was simply impossible to overcome. After 4 years of persistent efforts to overcome the hurdles, it had become quite clear we would never accomplish our goal using TGEA. But using the Starsiege IP tied us to the game engine restrictions that Vivendi had placed on us.

So, what could we do from here? Quit? Hell no! We've proven we aren't quitters. The solution: tell Vivendi and Garage Games to shove it. We'll ditch all of the Starsiege IP and develop the game we always WANTED to make.

No longer tied to TGEA, we will be able to use one of the most advanced game engines on the planet. Also, no longer tied to the Starsiege timeline or the Starsiege Universe technology, we will be free to include any gameplay aspects we want to. If we want jet packs, skiing, and torso-twisting mechs, we can! It's up to us.

So, if you want to know where Clancore is going from here, imagine Tribes 2 combined with Mechwarrior in a unique Universe created by us. We'll finally be free to create freely without all the chains that have held us down for four years.

Wish us luck. I'm pretty excited about this decision.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

3 Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:42 am

Woohoo, freedom! Finally, we can hopefully get a good game with a possible chance of Tribes gameplay...
Xan
Commander
Commander

4 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:18 am

So this is going to be d3d?
Blakhart
The ultimate Iowigger!

5 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 am

I prefer OpenGL over D3D
Braveskin
How about a real title?

6 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:35 am

Me too.
Blakhart
The ultimate Iowigger!

7 Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Wow, VU is even more of an asshole company than I originally thought....
Kigen
The Legendary Lone Marine.

8 Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:37 pm

yeah they make me sick. molly

good luck for those guys
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

9 Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:13 pm

hmm, Would darkstar early development source code be of anyhelp inthis project?
-MiD-
Banned

10 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 pm

MiD, SS 2845 is dead.

But early Darkstar, idk if it would help them. Seems they wanted the T2 source. (which if I remember right is early torque)
Kigen
The Legendary Lone Marine.

11 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 pm

ahh. Well i know a guy who knows a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy who has early edition of darkstar.

(my brother).
-MiD-
Banned

12 Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:01 pm

I would be interested in seeing that.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

13 Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:12 am

You will have to pay.
-MiD-
Banned

14 Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Here we go again...
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

15 Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Lol.
-MiD-
Banned

16 Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Send me the code first, then I'll send you the money, however much it is, I don't care.
Braveskin
How about a real title?

17 Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 pm

I'll pay 15$ for the complete netcode.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

18 Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:07 pm

Well I miss the old MiD, a stupid troll posting "im drunk n high" tthreads. But then plas said: "Stop that chit or i'll kill your cats and steal your hat!"
and he stopped :?
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

19 Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:34 am

it aint fun if bob dont get nun, gime gime
bob
Banned

20 Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:15 am

Bob, by now I believe you've had way to much. Know I'm not saying you should stop, but to avoid expelling what ever it is you eat all over the floor I suggest you slow your intake.
King Bear
King Of Bears

Next

Return to News