Forum Changes

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:50 am

I've been afk for about a week now and it will continue some for the next few weeks. This morning I finally got a chance to catch up on the AU thread and found a few things I liked but even more things I didn't like. Now to set the record straight:

I was not banned nor was I kicked from AU's server. I received a ban warning for posting a turrent in an offensive manner. The code for Annihilation prevents me from placing the turret within a certain percentage of the distance between the 2 flags. I don't remember my code (its been years) but I think it was something like 40% of the distance between the flags from the enemy flag. In this particular instance I doubt even the AU guys would argue that the turret was too close to their base, BUT unknown to me there was an enemy spawn point on the bridge between the 2 bases that was within or was extremely close to firing range of the laser turret I was placing.

My initial post regarding the current status of Tribes: Annihilation was an abuse of power on my part but the content (a few references I made) were in bad taste and I should have written it differently. That post was not a direct flame towards AU but more of a plead for them and other server admins to rethink their administration from an "outsider's" perspective (I hadn't played Tribes in a LONG time).

Since Grog's post I have thought seriously regarding the placement of annihilation.info in the Tribes Community. I don't agree nor will I condone the usage of the Annihilation Forums for bashing any other clan or player. If you have a problem with another clan or player you should address that issue with them directly. If you feel the need to post publically regarding your frustration, visit their forums, post in yours, or create a Blog site. Any abuse of the "no flame" policy will result in swift and harsh reaction from me or other Annihilation moderators/admins. Depending on the situation you might get a warning, or you might not so be careful. A good rule of thumb: if your post involves a situation with another clan or player and is not somehow constructive in nature, it could likely be considered flamebait.

In regards to Grog's administration, after reading some/most of the 17 page thread, I belive that Grog is very justified in the way he administrates his server. I think he could save alot of work and frustration for AU and other players if they would modify a few maps and maybe make a few changes to the mod. Hopefully he will be able to make some of the changes we've suggested and reduce the room for doubt when it comes to admin issues. Either way, it is his server and he has the final word when it comes to how he administrates it. My wish is that players will re-think their reactions to AU administration and respect it for what they are trying to do. If those who have issues with it spent half as much time contributing to the communty rather than detracting from it (by flaming) we'd all benefit. And Grog, I really like your metaphors for ppl messing with your server. Priceless.

For all those who have been misquoting me. PLEASE STOP. It really pisses me off when someone particpates in an arguement "on my behalf" and paraphrases my statements or outright makes up whatever will make their point. This only gets worse when I haven't asked nor authorized the poster to speak on my behalf. I do appreciate the thought but please do not do so in the future without my permission.

I've closed and moved the 17 page thread into the abyss where it can't be found. I read through most of it but it was just too long to read all of it. It looks like AU and SK were able to work out their differences and I am very happy they were able to do so. Constructive Clan discussions like this one are very worthy and for now will be allowed here but please make sure it does not turn into a flame war. The best option would be to discuss them over email/pm/chat or another forum.

I really wish I didn't have to lay down such a strict rule but I am not happy with the direction of some of the threads in this forum and things need to change. If you have an issue with something in this post please discuss it with me privately.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

2 Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:27 am

Hey Sevvn, could you please active RSS feeds on your forums.

Thnx
Hajduk^
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

3 Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:53 am

In regards to Grog's administration, after reading some/most of the 17 page thread, I belive that Grog is very justified in the way he administrates his server. I think he could save alot of work and frustration for AU and other players if they would modify a few maps and maybe make a few changes to the mod. Hopefully he will be able to make some of the changes we've suggested and reduce the room for doubt when it comes to admin issues. Either way, it is his server and he has the final word when it comes to how he administrates it. My wish is that players will re-think their reactions to AU administration and respect it for what they are trying to do. If those who have issues with it spent half as much time contributing to the communty rather than detracting from it (by flaming) we'd all benefit. And Grog, I really like your metaphors for ppl messing with your server. Priceless.

i made several of such suggestions, all were rejected, i even offered to help code some of the things their server needed, like TK/BK auto punishments and what-not... but they said they prefered the simple ban.
i'm not sure if they refused my help due to disagreements with their rules or not trusting me with their files... or if they really do prefer banning everyone in person... but the point is they refused my help on the matter.

also, i must have missed these metaphors... any chance of a top 10 list?
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

4 Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:19 am

they refused everyones help.
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

5 Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:35 am

I dont think ^AU^ wants outside people access to the files? I'm not completely sure, but i am on holidays now so i will be doing some work on the Mod for Grog. I have a few good ideas, and after talking to grog i'll get started on it.
skoe
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

6 Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:09 am

I get some sort of CVS on the CU site if people want.

Sevnn, let me know if you want to acivate RSS so I can use it for tha new site.
Hajduk^
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

7 Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:56 am

He won't sticky two threads ( :cry: ), I'm not sure he'll be implementing an RSS feed any time soon.
Crotalus
I DEMAND A TITLE!

8 Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:10 am

thank you Sevvn for your words.

the AU oturreting rule is the very same rule that was on NJ.

you kicked me for it when i first started an i remembered and thought thats one damn fine rule.

the issue is some maps just dont follow that 40% distance rules. they all should but alot dont. base tribe maps do but nonbase maps seem to have issues.

ill explain something about myself may help.

im a very polite person. yes i cuss but there is a time and a place. when your with your buds cussing is kool. when your in someone elses house its not.

im more than willing to discuss anything in a reasonable manner. ie SK

yes SK posted some nasty crap, but they did not do it in my server or my website they did it here and on there site (which i read daily by the way) and thats there right on there site.

the clans i refuse to be reasonable with didnt do that. there members came to my site(house) and cussed me, my site, my server, my clan, and my family multiple times.

i tried to handle it and what i recieved for it was Grogs a no good @##%%^#$ #$$^^% #$$^^ @@$^&&* nazi hitler and needless to say somethings are unforgivable.

i do not post on others sites.

i post here and on my site. when i have a issue with someones clan members i post it on my site and normally here. notice i respond to anger/cussing with anger/cussing.

i basically said i have this issue with your member and you need to deal with it and get back to me and ill remove the bans.

what i got was stick it up your behind and DO NOT TELL US HOW TO HANDLE OUR MEMBERS THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT ON YOUR CRAPPY ASSED SERVER AND YOUR CLAN CAN NOT TELL US WHAT TO DO ON YOUR SERVER BECAUSE YOUR A f35KING NOOB WHO HAS NO RIGHTS AT ALL.

needless to say i dont take that well. and i dont think Sevvn would either.

i respect Sevvn and Plas and Force. xchismo i had issues with but thats another story. i do love his plobe and wish a new issue would be released.

actually read my clans guidelines. they are reasonable and are designed to improve tribes and annihilation. they may not be written well (im not a good writer) but read the intent.

our goal is to run a child friendly, nonracist server open to anyone who behaves reasonably. act in a unreasonable manner to many times and i will never allow you back just the same as if you enter my home and cuss my wife dont expect to be allowed back.

for years i have brought up we need a clan leaders egroup where only actual clan leaders can post. this way clan leaders could send posts only to clan leaders to deal with these issues.

i post here and my own site i will not enter your site and post because i tried that and instead of reason i got there whole clan cussing me and of course those posts are never removed and mine were.

i only remove posts from others on my site for language or flame posts only.

my website is also child friendly.

my clan is a clan of families. we have several families with young children who play on our server and i will protect them (its in the job description as leader)

if clan leaders dont deal with there members actions then why the heck are they called leaders.

leaders LEAD and hold there members responsible for there actions otherwise its not a clan its a mob and you can see by the flame posts what a mob will do.

my msn is on 24/7 spacedone@hotmail.com (junkmail) and my server email is admin@assassinsunited.com and i just opened a clan business email at augames@gmail.com (by the way i have 40 gmail accounts to give away)

those of you who have actually took the effort to speak to me in pvt know im a good guy.

those of you who havent know im also a MAN who acts like a Man and will defend myself, my server and my clan.

im not a young punk

im not a coder/mapper even tho im a great copy/paste coder

i do not tolerate idiots well

once i decide your a idiot you must show me otherwise by your actions in public i was wrong.

if you post and prove your a idiot i will hold you to being a idiot and ignore you.
Grog
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

9 Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:44 pm

do you have to bring all this up again?
it's like poking a sleeping bear.. oh wait i heard that before..
lets move on!!!!
SAND
Commander
Commander

10 Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:53 pm

yes. move on.
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

11 Thu May 05, 2005 11:59 pm

I'm only posting here because I don't want to start a new thread for this subdiscussion. Please only reply to this specific topic.

I believe the problem with the turret code might be that I (meaning the code) am looking for both flag base objects and comparing the distance between the 2. In the event a flag base was not used or was used elsewhere in the map I might be unable to figure the distance between the 2. The code might be looking at the initial locations of the flags but I don't remember for sure. I know I wrote it to look for the flag base object initially. It shouldn't be too difficult to build that set of code up a bit more robust. It should also be possible to check for nme spawn locations within the vicinity of the turret to prevent placement where spawn killing would happen.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

12 Fri May 06, 2005 4:23 am

The function to find the resting distance...
Code: Select all
function Flag::findDistance()// this function gets called before inv cameras.. -plasmatic
{
   if(getNumTeams() == 2)
   {
      %t1Flagpos = ($teamFlag[0]).originalPosition;
      %t2Flagpos = ($teamFlag[1]).originalPosition;
      $FlagDistance = Vector::getDistance(%t1FlagPos,%t2FlagPos);
      echo("Distance " @ $FlagDistance);
   }
   else
   {
      $FlagDistance = 0;
      echo("Too many teams for flag checking.");
   }

In the depoy code. .
Code: Select all
      if(((Vector::getDistance($teamFlag[%enemyTeam].originalPosition, $los::position)) < ($FlagDistance * 0.4)) && ($FlagDistance != 0))
      {
         Client::sendMessage(%client,0,"You are too close to the enemy flag~waccess_denied.wav");
         return false;
      }

In some maps it's possible to place turrets within range of spawn points, but players also get 5 seconds of invulnerability when spawning (if they don't pull out a weapon). Turrets are easy to kill once they fire and are stuck in reload mode...

It would be possible to loop through all enemy spawn points, and check against the turrets range, but that would add server load, and is probably unecessary..

Grog, I do like the idea of a clan leaders only area. It may help resolve some of the issues.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

13 Fri May 06, 2005 4:38 am

why doesn't it check for multiple team maps?
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

14 Tue May 24, 2005 5:04 am

no one plays on AU anyways.. KK won the server wars for annihilation 2.x

too many servers too little players.. too many rule sis a bad idea if u wanna suceed at this sad point in tribes. though i did notice yesterday that we were at over 500 people playing yesterday around 2 in the afternoon.
Bongwater
id take one

15 Thu May 26, 2005 11:36 pm

my mod is growing, and i get a LOT of people who are new to tribes joining my server, and getting hooked. i think tribes might live for a while yet.
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

16 Fri May 27, 2005 9:42 am

but you do realize your bot gun starts to hurt the bots, no?
Braveskin
How about a real title?

17 Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:16 am

Perrinoia wrote:why doesn't it check for multiple team maps?

Because there are some maps that run more than 2 teams and I don't want to limit turret placement between 1 team but not another. The work involved for handling more than 2 teams goes up exponentially so I didn't worry about it other than an attempt to avoid it from causing problems.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

18 Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:15 pm

The forums are fine
())======D
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

19 Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:27 am

Wow this is an old post..

and yes, they are again, but please find another name to post with.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to News